Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 1 – Dirty dormitory. 07/09/11





I woke up at 6.30am in the morning excited for the OIP trip; this is the trip that I’ve been anticipating from the starting of the term. We were to meet at the airport at 8.30am but I was “kiasu” and rushed my dad to send me there. I was 30mins early. At the airport I met up with my classmates from TC11 and waited at row 11 to check in our luggage. After checking in we were given free time till 9.40am to gather at the boarding area. Joel, Malin & I went to burger king to grab breakfast, that’s our last meal in Singapore before coming to Chengdu. On the plane, I had fun playing zombie games on ipad with Malin as she was sitting by my side. The games were fun but after a while we both fell asleep, I woke up 30mins before the plane landed and admired china’s scenery from above.

At Chengdu airport, we went out to the arrival hall and were greeted by friendly students from UESTC. We had a nice time chatting and the students were amazed that we could speak mandarin well particularly Malin or should I say Jiaxin? (That’s her Chinese name) and I of course (haha). After that, we boarded a mini bus toward the place I’m writing this now, the UESTC new campus. We got off the bus and were allocated to our rooms, two to each room. I chose Joel as my dorm mate. We were excited to look at the place that we will be staying for the next 5 weeks but was disappointed by how dirty the room was. The room was flooded with water and filled with dirt, but the most disgusting part was the toilet, the gaps between the floor tiles are filled black stuffs and the urinal was yellowish. Apparently our room was the dirtiest as compared to other rooms used by our OIP group mates. Joel and I were sadden by the situation of our room but were determined to make it our home for the next few weeks, but before that we need to get some energy (food).

All the students are gathered below our dorm and lead to a food court within the campus, this was when I realizes how huge this university is. I had “zha jiang mian” for dinner and paid using a card I received from our host, the UESTC students. The card is similar to our very own ez-link card, it uses the contact technology for payment. After dinner, we were brought to a shopping center within the school! This once again reminded me how enormous the campus is. Joel and I took the chance to buy all the cleaning material we need to clear up our room. We bought mop, pails and detergent.

Back at the dorm, Daryl, Nicolas, Joel and I decide to help each other out in cleaning our rooms. We cleaned everything in both rooms from the sink to the table top. Due to our team work and excessive scrubbing our rooms are sparkling clean right now and we are all worn out. This is all for today, time to sleep. 

Cheers,

 Jerry Neo



No comments:

Post a Comment